The Second Coming of Christ
As Jesus Christ ascended into heaven at the completion of His mortal ministry, two angels declared to His Apostles, “This same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven” (Acts 1:11). Since that time, believers have looked forward to the Second Coming of Jesus Christ.
When the Savior comes again, He will come in power and glory to claim the earth as His kingdom. His Second Coming will mark the beginning of the Millennium.
The Second Coming will be a fearful, mournful time for the wicked, but it will be a day of peace for the righteous. The Lord declared:
“They that are wise and have received the truth, and have taken the Holy Spirit for their guide, and have not been deceived—verily I say unto you, they shall not be hewn down and cast into the fire, but shall abide the day.
“And the earth shall be given unto them for an inheritance; and they shall multiply and wax strong, and their children shall grow up without sin unto salvation.
“For the Lord shall be in their midst, and his glory shall be upon them, and he will be their king and their lawgiver” (Doctrine and Covenants 45:57–59).
The Lord has not revealed exactly when He will come again: “The hour and the day no man knoweth, neither the angels in heaven, nor shall they know until he comes” (Doctrine and Covenants 49:7). But He has revealed to His prophets the events and signs that will precede His Second Coming. Among the prophesied events and signs are:
- Apostasy from gospel truth (see Matthew 24:9–12; 2 Thessalonians 2:1–3).
- The Restoration of the gospel, including the restoration of the Church of Jesus Christ (see Acts 3:19–21; Revelation 14:6–7; Doctrine and Covenants 45:28; 133:36).
- The restoration of priesthood keys (see Malachi 4:5–6; Doctrine and Covenants 110:11–16).
- The coming forth of the Book of Mormon (see Ezekiel 37: 16, 17; Isaiah 29:4–18; 3 Nephi 21:1–11).
- The preaching of the gospel throughout the world (see Matthew 24:14).
- A time of wickedness, war, and turmoil (see Matthew 24:6–7; 2 Timothy 3:1–7; Doctrine and Covenants 29:17; 45:26–33; 88:91).
- Signs in heaven and on the earth (see Joel 2:30–31; Matthew 24:29–30; Doctrine and Covenants 29:14–16; 45:39